|Heacham Road, Sedgeford,|
Norfolk, PE36 5LU
|+44 (0)1485 571765|
| || |
Ownership and Heritage of the Inn:
Following an Act of Parliament in 1797 to enclose the open fields and common land in Sedgeford, The King Will's site comprising of '2 acres 1 rod and 2 perches' was allocated to Robert Smith in lieu of his rights of common and shackage (grazing and trading area).
Robert Smith sold the site to John Potter in 1801. The sale is recorded in the manor court minute books for Sedgeford (then known as Sedgeforth) which also includes a margin note revealing that the site was then purchased by local shoemaker and farmer, William Crisp, in 1830 who subsequently built the Inn. Pictured here on the right in front of The King William.
Though the Inn dates back to the 1830s, the land where it stands can be traced back some 500 years when it was part of a plot called 'Nether Gayberds' occupied by a man named Henry Russell.
|Smuglers in Sedgeford|
Smuglers in Sedgeford: In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, it's believed that the south porch of Sedgeford church was used for smuggling barrels of gin, and William Crisp must indeed have been aware of this activity which still formed a major part of the local economy.
These smuggling tales were recounted to Reverend J A Ogle by a local man who was involved in the activity as a boy, like many villagers and possibly the squire too! By the formation of a joint Stock Company, shareholders corroborated to ship spirits from Holland, land them on a local beach, and then transport them.
People at all levels of society were reputed to have colluded with smuggling. A newspaper report in the February 1822 edition of the Norfolk Chronicle described how a boat landed 80 tubs of gin and brandy in Snettisham with some 20 carts ready to move the goods. When excise officers subsequently seized the cargo, part of it was rescued by smugglers and collaborators.
|Famous Archeological Finds|
The Sedgeford Hoard
This hoard of 32 Iron Age gold coins was found in August 2003 at Sedgeford, Norfolk during an archaeological dig. The coins are Iron Age 'Gallo-Belgic E staters, made by the Ambiani tribe of Gaul in northern France. 20 of them were found inside the cow bone displayed here.
The Sedgeford Torc
The Sedgeford Torc is a broken Iron Age gold torc found near the village of Sedgeford in Norfolk. The main part of the torc was found during harrowing of a field in 1965, and the missing terminal was found by Dr. Steve Hammond during fieldwork by the Sedgeford Historical and Archaeological Research Project in 2004. The torc is now displayed at the British Museum.
SHARP (Sedgeford Historical Archeological Research Project) returns every year to Sedgeford for a Summer Dig. To find out more or perhaps take part check out their website www.sharp.org.co.uk
|Pocahontas - Norfolk Legend|
The village next to Sedgeford is called Heacham and has long been associated with the legend of Pocahontas and the first English colony in America, Jamestown Virginia.
The story goes that Pocahontas married a Heacham man, John Rolfe, who sailed to the New World a couple of years after the first wave of colonisation in 1607. Some years later, after their marriage, Rolfe brought Pocahontas to Heacham to visit his family and this is recalled by a plaque in the village church and, bizarrely, a preserved mulberry tree stump in the corner of the local councils parks department depot.
However, when updating a village exhibition on the story a few years ago, Making History listener Christine Dean tried to find confirmation in the local records that the John Rolfe of Jamestown, Virginia was the John Rolfe of Heacham, Norfolk.